Turmeric Helps Detox the Liver
Turmeric, a member of the ginger family, has been shown in studies to have anti-inflammatory effects and is helpful in liver detoxification. Your liver is one of the most important detoxifying organs of the body. And turmeric is one of the best liver detoxifiers. Curcumin is a phytonutrient that gives turmeric its bright yellow color. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, “curcumin stimulates production of bile by the gallbladder. The liver uses bile to eliminate toxins; bile also rejuvenates liver cells that breakdown harmful compounds.” For this reason, turmeric has been used to treat digestion and liver disorders. It has also been used to help reverse fatty liver disease.
You can easily add more turmeric in your diet—from juice, (use fresh turmeric root) to tea, curry, and soups—this spice can help you detox and prevent diseases like cancer.
Turmeric-Ginger Detox Soup
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder (or 3 teaspoons fresh turmeric, finely grated)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups purified water
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1-3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lime or lemon juice ( to taste)
- ½ cup brown rice (dry)
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (or canned, drained)
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes ( or 1-2 cups fresh, diced tomatoes)
- Cilantro as garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger. Lower heat to medium low and sauté 5 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.
- Add garlic, sauté 2 minutes. Then add all the spices and cook 1 more minute.
- Add water, stock and sea salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add vinegar or citrus.
- Adjust salt, acid and spices to your taste.
- Add brown rice, beans, and tomatoes. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until rice is done.
You can refrigerate or freeze this soup in batches for later use.