What Does “Ensure” Ensure?
People often ask me about Ensure meal replacement shakes. The label says it has lutein to support eye health, and is “complete balanced nutrition.” People fill their shopping carts full with this product. But what’s in it? Is it as good as they say?
The first five ingredients are:
- Corn syrup
- Corn maltodextrin
- Milk protein concentrate
It’s time to break this down. Your number two ingredient is sugar. Having just completed the research for my latest book Sugar Knockout, it’s proven that sugar causes or contributes to diabetes, heart disease, cancer, depression, schizophrenia, weight gain, skin problems, premature aging, GI problems, GERD, insomnia, mood swings, hypoglycemia, and yeast overgrowth. It’s been proven that is is more addictive than cocaine and heroine. It’s highly acidic and contributes to joint pain, arthritis, and osteoporosis. It can also contribute to decreased insulin sensitivity (insulin resistance).
Corn syrup is even worse than sugar. It’s been linked with diabetes, obesity, insulin resistance, and liver problems, and every other problem linked with sugar.
Maltodextrin is next and worse yet. Almost all maltodextrin is derived from genetically modified (GMO) corn. It’s a refined carbohydrate that is high on the glycemic list.
So basically the majority of this product is sugar water, which has no nutritional value at all and is very detrimental to your health.
Tell everyone you know to stop drinking sugar water known as Ensure. It’s very bad for their health.
DIY Meal Replacement Berry Shake
You can make your own homemade meal replacement shake that is good for your body.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond, rice, hemp, or coconut milk (no soy milk)
- 3-4 drops liquid stevia (try Sweet Leaf Vanilla Creme)
- 1 Tbsp almond or cashew butter (if you need to gain weight)
- 1 scoop protein powder—choose pea or rice protein; make sure there is no sugar added
- 1 cup organic blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries; you can add frozen or fresh (they spray berries heavily with pesticides so make sure they are organic)
- 1/2 to 1 banana (this will thicken the shake)
- Handful of spinach (optional)
Place all ingredients in a blender and process until creamy.